10.18.2006

A reason to celebrate Wednesday?

I'm still thinking through a reaction to this website:

http://loveyourbody.nowfoundation.org/index.html

October 18 is "Love your body day," and given all the media images that pressure women to control their appearance in various ways, it may be a worthwhile concept. I think it would go well with a "Turn off your TV and put away the Beauty/Fitness magazines Day," but that's probably my general bias against advertising coming through. I enjoy flipping through the occasional Vogue as much as the next gal but I'm not looking there for realism or a desirable self-image. Likewise, I tend to read fitness magazines for the articles so I pass by the ones that push products too hard, like Shape and Fitness, in favor of mags like Runner's World and Triathlete.

A thoughtful critique of advertising aimed at women is well-deserved, but the publicity surrounding LYB Day seems a bit hypocritical. My ambiguous reaction comes from a few different sections of the site, especially the "Order Products" section. While they're selling body-positive items and books, do we really need to buy stuff to love our bodies? And in the "Positive Ads" section: don't all makeup ads imply that women need to paint their faces to be beautiful? I do like the Girl Scouts and Kaiser ads, but they're not hard-selling products that alter women's appearances. I'd rather see a site with tactics that would enable women to love our bodies every day, and will start off the list:

1. Be a sharp consumer of media products, even when you're reading or watching for pleasure. There's nothing wrong with Cosmo or Self as long as you don't base your self-image on marketers' attempts to entice you to consume. Likewise, Oprah is not the goddess of all things feminine but she has some fun guests.
2. Question if makeup makes you look and feel beautiful, or just different.
3. Take a status report on your body in terms of health and fitness. Do you feel good? Are you in pain? Is there something you wish your body could do? And I don't mean "fit into size 4 jeans," I'm thinking more like "run a 10-minute mile" or "do ten pushups without stopping to rest."

I think about this because of the bug and because of my friends' daughters. If any of them tried to diet as pre-teens I would freak out completely, but body image pressures are felt younger and younger. What can we really do to help our girls be happy about what they look like?

No comments: