11.10.2006

what a week! When's Christmas?

It's been one thing after another this week. A combination of colds, flu, and general malaise has plagued the household, although I did get the pleasure of staying home with the bug on her birthday. Too bad she had serious sniffles. She would basically hack up half a lung and then look at me and say, "I coughing." Yup, I noticed. Matt was also under the weather Wednesday and I'm sliding toward a head cold myself, so here's a brief update of a mainly mucus-filled week.

The bug has spent hours playing with her birthday presents especially new kitchen implements which she has decided to hand-wash as many times as I will let her near the sink. I was worried about OCD at first, but she really loves the bubbles in the dishwater. She has finally stopped sounding like she's got a two-pack-a-day habit and may resume nasal clarity by the weekend.

Matt's work trip has been postponed slightly once again. Now he'll get to spend Thanksgiving with us and with his in-laws, but he may not be here for Christmas. Who knows? We'll figure out a way to celebrate across the miles regardless.

I've decided I'm getting a Christmas tree this year at long last. Still thinking about what height/ kind/ appearance I'm going for, but it will be a fake. I like leaving the real ones in the forest, though I'm not above getting some pine for the fireplace because I love the smell. I've fallen prey to the Christmas-starts-after-Halloween marketing season this year because I'm so jazzed about getting a tree. I still won't put it up until the weekend after Thanksgiving.

I know I have readers who haven't crawled out of the woodwork to post yet, so I'm choosing a really polarizing set of questions in hopes you all will speak up:

When does the Christmas season start and end in your house? How do you keep the joy of Christmas in your families in spite of the seasonal consumerism? What's your fave holiday tradition? And for the snarky Grinches: How do you keep sane when surrounded by enforced holiday spirit? (Want to see if I can get my spousal grinch to comment as he's NEVER posted yet...)

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I've posted before so I may not be your target audience for the Christmas quesions. But...I decided to get things rolling. I, too, feel the weekend after Thanksgiving is appropriate to decorate. I love to fill the house with candles. Cinnamon smells and the flickering lights are very cozy. I also love to do holiday baking. All this talk makes me impatient!

Staci said...

I hold off on decorating till after Thanksgiving to decorate for sure, and for a couple weeks it's just the advent wreath and nativity set until I can convince my spouse that it's time for a tree/lights/etc. This year we'll probably skip most of the decor, though, since we'll be out of town for the actual holidays and need a very clean house shortly after.

I love the little white lights... I'd hang them all over the place and forego regular lighting for the month of December if I could get by with it. The lights and the chocolate dipped peanut butter balls (slightly different at my home than the classic "buckeyes") are my favorite things about the holiday season.

Oh, and we stretch it out for at least a couple weeks after Christmas, up to Epiphany. If you go to all that trouble decorating, you might as well make it last!