1.02.2007

Why today, um, yesterday, is apparently quite different than the day before.

I have always thought of New Year's as the biggest non-holiday of each year. Many many people seem to take it as a marker of a fresh start, a chance to make resolutions for personal improvement, and so forth. Much good may it do them, but I don't understand why someone would wait until January 1 to make changes if they were seriously in earnest about self-transformation. Any day of any year is good enough for that if you're committed. If you're not committed, you're going to join all those other people still paying for gym memberships they never use, no matter what day of the year you make yourself abstract promises on. End of soapbox. And a happy new year to you, too.

A solid two weeks of family sickness has clearly added to my general holiday cheer and also to the lack of blog entries. With the help of multiple snow days, long rest periods, and several over-the-counter remedies, we are now ready to emerge from the snow pack and return to our daily grind. As the bug said this morning when I woke her up at 7:15 a.m., "I don't want to see my friends. I want Mommy and Daddy stay home cuddle you." Yup, the two weeks of being a stay-at-home mom has had a few definite benefits.

In spite of various viral plagues upon our house and two "acts of God" involving several feet of accumulated precipitation, we really had a fun, relaxing Christmas. We had time to play in the snow, play "daddy/mommy come get you" in the house, and watch multiple hours of cartoons and Sesame Street while puttering about the house. New recipes were tried, including crab cakes, lemon blueberry tiramisu, turkey pot pie, and garlic parmesan mashed potatoes. My Warcraft character also advanced several levels thanks to help from other snowed-in friends and active players, so that is allowing me to do some pretty cool in-game things which I am geekily happy about in a quiet sort of way.

My opening paragraph probably makes it clear why I don't make New Year's resolutions. I do plan to blog more often than the last month (not hard, four posts! I can beat four posts in a month!) and am making a few other plans after the long holiday based on some good discussions with my husband about what we want our lives to be like. If you're a New-Year's resolution maker, I wish you the best in keeping your promises to yourself and congratulate you on your optimism in taking on a new set of goals. Maybe I will figure out some new goals by Groundhog Day. :)

4 comments:

Cliff said...

Heather,

I change my site layout b/c it kept messsing up on Internet explorer. It works fine in Firefox though.

As for the question about restriction, I guess I am sick in a way that I tend to push and see how far the limit I will go.

Example, when it comes diet or eating healthy, I will push myself to eat as much veges as I can. Not necessary suffering but I try to throw away the rules that I have. Like u can't eat veges to fill you up. Or let see if i can eat as much veges I can per day.

Then I slowly see what works and what doesn't. Last season, I realize I need grainy food in my diet to keep me fill so I slowly reduce my restriction on me (hence create exceptions).

I do the same for my spiritual life as well. Sin-like behaviour (drinking). I abstain them totally and then set up exceptions. When it comes to my spiritual life, I dont' enjoy hovering about the line close to sinning and strieve to go as far as possible.

Cliff said...

I agree. If you wanna make a change.it si now. It is not until New Years. I made my 'resolutions' back in Nov already.

Bolder said...

i too have a problem with forced revelry.

i too have a problem with two 'acts of god'.

snow belongs in the mountains, not Boulder! although, i must confess that i have become interested in x-country skiing.

may 2007 be your best!

CyndiF said...

Bolder,

People who complain about snow in Colorado deserve to be pelted with fresh fruit (pluots, perhaps). Lazy folk like me didn't have to drive to the mountains to ski--I just crossed the street.