5.21.2007

New sheriff in town.

The bug has developed what I call her 'dictator' voice over the past week or so. She now echoes a lot of the parenting techniques we use for behavior modification, which makes her simultaneously cute and infuriating. A few examples from the past few days:

"Don't say no to me." (To her father, while at a friend's house, when being refused the opportunity to outstay her welcome. For full effect, imagine the lower lip extended in full pout.)

"Daddy, I want to talk to Mommy. Daddy, go downstairs and vacuum." (An astute command on her part, as the rug really needed it, and protofeminist in the sense of equalization of household work, but still, out of control.)

"Mama, no time out. Read books to me or play games." (self-explanatory--don't all parents know the "give two choices that aren't really choices" technique?)

It would help if our response to these included keeping a straight face, but the last one actually got me laughing to the point of tears. Any tips for when your toddler tries to manage your parental behavior? (Except "don't let her do it"--we've got you covered on that one.)

4 comments:

deNile said...

Being the witness to "Daddy, don't say no to me" event I have to say laughter was the right response. It is about as perpendicular as you can get to the response she is looking for without making the whole thing blow up. Throwing back a "don't you say no to me" or the equivalent would end poorly. When a parent laughs at you, there is no good response (other than "you hate me and I wish I were never born" but thats YEARS away) that will make things go your way.

Of course this will lead someday to her laughing at something you tell her to do, to which the response is either a stern "yes you will because I say so" or "you hate me and I wish you were never born" either of which should get a response. I leave it as an exercise to the reader to pick wisely from the above option.

Anonymous said...

For the record, after "Don't say no to me" I laughed. We all laughed. And then I picked her up and walked off with her. Boy was she PISSED at me. I did think the laughing at her made her MUCH less inclined to continue this particular display. Something to be considered in the future.

-Matt

Jenni said...

Sorry, no advice from me. That's what I have you guys for...to give us suggestions since you will go through these stages before we do. We are currently lacking the in the communication department...mabye that is a good thing? Anyhow, I loved the comment "Daddy, go downstairs and vacuum." Absolutely LOVE it!

Jenni said...

Damn blogger won't let me change my spelling of maybe. Oh well.