5.15.2007

what's been keeping me busy?

I have three book chapters due to the publisher before I leave for a conference next Thursday. Almost done--putting the finishing touches on the last one.

I have a syllabus, half-generated. I need to figure out which precise chapters of a kajillion different books I want to use; all the authors' rights regarding those chapters; which books to order; if I want to make a course reader; and the last three weeks of assignments, before submitting it for the department chair's approval. Theoretically this is due before I leave but I'm not going to actually get it done before my return since the chair won't be here to review it until June. I'll be talking much more about this course shortly--I'm teaching a writing class in Women's Studies this fall and am ridiculously excited.

I have a conference presentation to generate on massive multiplayer online roleplaying games and the similiarities between character generation online and onstage. Which I present next Friday morning, at 8:30 a.m. (Fervently hoping caffeine will be locally available, and at least four other people show up for the presentation.)

It sounds from the above like I'm an actual academic instead of an administrative lackey. Sadly, I am not. My work doesn't keep me busy; it's the independent scholarship above that keeps me hopping. Change is in the air career-wise in the next few months; I'll keep you posted.

I haven't taken on any more additional freelance writing assignments for the time being. This is because I need time to get back to communicating with all of you for awhile. I've got months of photos, loads of letters, and general love to get spreading among friends and family. I've been hiding a bit the past few months just trying to dig out from the writing overload and remain decent to my immediate family.

And I had a fabulous Mother's Day-thanks for asking! My folks were in town last weekend and we had much good food, a mountain walk with some lovely lilacs, and fun with the bug. I received a lovely Mom's Day gift from the little one--a handpainted frame with a cute little picture of her on the playground equipment at the gulag. We went swimming for the first time this year at our local pool, went for a long walk at the lakes, and generally had a peaceful and relaxing weekend.

No comments: