9.28.2007

Stick it out.

This Sunday is the, um, Boulder Marathon, although when I signed up for it, it was still called the Boulder Backroads.

Once upon a time it was going to be this year's "A" race for me.

That was about two months and two new jobs ago. I fell off my training plan around the first week of September and I have logged neither the miles nor the speedwork I intended since then. Other responsibilities and pleasures have intervened, unfortunately most of them falling on the duty side.

However: No excuses, no apologies. I'm going to stick it out.

I'm still going to run the half-marathon, although I suspect "run" may be an optimistic adjective. I've done long runs up to 11 miles this summer so finishing won't be an issue, but my time is unlikely to approximate the goal I set in July.

It looks like I may get to meet up with several of my fave tri/run bloggers including Bold and AJ, and the weather on Sunday is supposed to approximate running perfection (circa low 50's in the morning). Even if I walked the whole course, and I won't have to sink that low, it's going to be a gorgeous day. I can feel it.

And next week I'm going to come up with a plan. An action plan. To avoid the "I'm not going to think about training/working out until next spring" seasonal lag disorder I seem to get every October. So watch this space for details and a race report.

3 comments:

Staci said...

Not that my "runs" come anything close to your trainings, but I just yesterday had a similar thought. The "I guess I'm done with going for runs till the spring, since it's too dark in the mornings and evenings now". And I did the exact same thing last year. It's amazing how easy it is to transition from at least considering a workout each morning to not caring anymore. I've got to find a way to keep caring.

Bolder said...

slow on the meetup. but, the plan is lunch at the Rio Grande on Walnut in downtown Boulder at 12 after the race.

also, we will go to the start line 15 minutes early. and our planned time is finishing around 2:40!

are you doing the half or the full?

g.

Heather said...

I'm doing the half and my goal time is somewhere in the vicinity of 2:30 so it seems likely I will see you two on the course. If not, the Rio sounds fantabulous and I will make plans to be there!