12.17.2007

five seconds.

I wish actual running was as much a part of the holiday season as:
running errands,
running between holiday festivities, 
running to mail packages so they arrive before Christmas,
runny noses and hacking coughs,
and running out of time and gratitude.

I always have the best intentions the day after Thanksgiving but by Dec. 17th I have to start picking and choosing among the following:
Writing and sending Christmas cards
Thinking of, and getting, thoughtful gifts for my immediate family members and friends
Getting gifts for people I feel obligated to like teachers and postal workers and...
Getting my grades back to my students by the Thursday deadline
Making Christmas cookies
Working out during daylight hours
Surviving yet another two holiday parties in one night due to our disparate office schedules
Sleeping enough to avoid getting even sicker

How to choose? It's hard to feel Christmas-y in my heart when I can't stop looking at what time it is.  Any suggestions on how to work deep breathing and actual consciousness of the reason for the season into this sprint-paced schedule?

2 comments:

Bolder said...

i gots nothin'

Anonymous said...

Part of the season involves slowing down and deciding what means the most to you. Jesus came down into a simple stable for a reason. He didn't try to be all things and fufill everyone else's expectations. (He never sent out Christmas cards!) As I've gotten older, it has occurred to me that all people choose to make their own traditions. Because people travel and exchange traditions within and between families, there suddenly becomes a very large list of "to-do's" that supposedly MUST be done so as not to disappoint someone. What worked for your mom or mother-in-law or work colleagues may not work for or mean anything to you. Every year, it is important for you to sit down and decide what this particular Christmas season means for you. It will change over time. Some years communication and letter writing will prevail, other years giving to those less fortunate in your community will seem more important. It is perfectly okay to say politely to whomever, "I'm sorry, we won't be doing that this year. We've decided to (blank). We care about you and look forward to seeing you another time." Wishing you good luck (and a little relief!)

Jen