2.18.2008

February sprint.

It's more of an overall statement, rather than a workout summary. And it's not just me; this month seems like an interval workout for many people I know.

In the last two weeks:
Runs: 2 (1 for 40 minutes! Yay!)
Yoga sessions of at least 20 minutes: 4
Other exercise of varying types: several ten-minute bursts of ab-type-stuff and upper-body weights.
Exciting purchases: a new dance workout video I'm going to try with the bug this afternoon.

Given what I'm about to describe, I'm lucky I still have energy to move. :)

At work, last week marked the first of three finalist visits for the permanent director position, with two to go. (I'm serving as the interim director for this year, and didn't apply for the permanent job.) Each of these visits is a mini-campus Olympics of stress and agony for the candidate and committee alike. After the conclusion of each, the paperwork marathon begins in hopes of crossing the travel reimbursement tape. Part of the reason I'm in this job is to run the search, so the visit planning, travel arrangements, and eventual payback all go through me. And multiple other campus finance departments, of course.

Each one of these lucky people will meet with all my staff, the search committee, and language coordinators from multiple departments; will give a job talk and a lunch interview; will tour campus and our specific facilities; and will do all these things between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. in a single day.

I think they should receive Superman capes just for walking in the door.

Also, I have a paper, a book review, two book chapters, and a conference paper due by April 1. So my blogging is likely to be of limited length, insight, and perspicacity for the next month or so. Which means I may start supplementing heavily with pictures, to the potential joy of my family readers. :)

And I'm still looking for a job for next fall. I'm working on some part-time teaching applications in my copious spare time, as it looks like the tenure track is one place I won't be sprinting in the year ahead. With luck, this round of applications will be more productive and less apparently dependent on a random-number generator.

No comments: