3.21.2008

SF part III: usually the best part of the trilogy.

So today I went across town and saw this.
It was quite mindblowing. She is an amazing artist and getting to see images of her personal life juxtaposed with her more famous celebrity images really gave a sense of where she got her eye for personalities.

I also ate here, and here (actually at their take-out place Out the Door), and here, and had dessert here which I can't recommend quite highly enough. As usual, I am eating my way through the city because I'm really, really appreciative of getting to sit still and have adult conversation or read a paper/ book while I eat.

And the conference? I met Emily Toth of Ms. Mentor fame, for those of you who read her advice column in the Chronicle of Higher Education. Great fun to hear people give advice regarding academic colleagues and how to deal with sticky situations.

Also, I attended a panel with a famous feminist essayist of the early 1970's on the subject of whether gender roles in the household have changed. What was the outcome, you might ask? Roughly: women under 35 attending the panel thought men had changed considerably from the situation described in the essay. Older women (of so-called "second wave" age, roughly 50 and up) insisted that nothing had changed or that things had even gotten worse for women since now they were also expected to work outside the home. Those of us young' uns with statistics on our side could demonstrate that men are indeed taking on more childcare than they used to, but women are giving up free time and housework to spend more time with the kids as well. Discussion showed a more complex issue than the panelists wanted to deal with, perhaps.

No comments: