4.21.2008

Introduction to a flurry of activity.

This week marks much busy business for Matt, a few major events for myself, and (thank goodness) a standard school week for the bug.

The center where I work is sponsoring a huge cultural arts festival on Thursday. We've got dance classes, film shorts, speakers, panels, sign language demonstrations, opportunities for careers abroad, and more. I'm hoping the "more" will be "a lot more people than our staff." This is always the point before a show or major event where I worry that no one at all will show up. This worry comes from the first performance event I ever managed, where we had an audience of 18 people for a $2,000 event. I am a meticulous proofreader of all publicity materials as a result of that particular PR disaster. (The event posters didn't list the location, in case you're curious.)

I'm auditing a statistics class this semester, and my final presentation is tomorrow. We had to take existing datasets and do analysis, which was mildly interesting but I wish I could actually do the proposed research that would follow up on the rather basic studies I analyzed. Wouldn't you like to know if actors take their onstage characters' characteristics into their offstage lives, and if so, how long that effect persists? I would.

The show I'm stage-managing goes into tech rehearsal on Sunday, which means you're unlikely to hear much from me next week as I'll be at the theatre any waking hours I'm not at work or with the bug. After preview on Thursday the 1st, though, life should start slowing back down, and by May 17th I'll be back down to one part-time job. What will I do with myself then? Stay tuned.

Luckily, our child-in-progress continues to develop apace. General consensus on our doctors' part is that "he" is the appropriate pronoun. :) As many "women's studies" departments have become "gender studies" departments in the last few years, I feel that having one child of each gender will allow my longitudinal studies to continue in line with recent research trends, which is very pleasing.

Don't ask about names, because we're not telling. However, if you have any suggestions for names (or for "PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T name your child this:"), feel free to put them in the comments. Last time when I was bearing the bug, we had a "worst possible baby names" contest among our friends, and "Snowflake Copkilla Beasley" won out. Can you do worse, while maintaining a basically family-friendly level of discourse?

3 comments:

CyndiF said...

As you know, I am pushing for Hrothgar.

Finn said...

Just so you all know, the middle name of "Skullsplitter" is my personal campaign. So far I haven't had much luck convincing Heather to go for that. But - Hrothgar Skullsplitter ... I like that. I really do.

Staci said...

Is that a silent "h" in Hrothgar? I'm all for crazy silent letters that'll throw off your kid's teachers for decades to come.