5.09.2008

Graduation day.

The floods of graduates have engulfed the building, gone on to commencement, and are gradually returning to their departmental celebrations in and around my office.  (I can actually see two different department parties from my desk.)  Black robes are flapping, camera flashes are snapping, and giddy girls, jacketed boys, and eager parents are everywhere.

While it doesn't help the usual crush of commuter traffic, and in fact made parking nigh impossible this morning, I am waxing a bit sentimental instead of irritated as a result.  Having had four graduation days myself, counting high school, today brings back pleasant and bittersweet memories on a number of levels.

If I'd had any idea how many people I was close to, on each of those days, that I truly would never see again, I would have been much sadder.

If I'd had a clue how much fun the next stage of my life ahead was going to be, I would have been much happier.

I wish them all truth in the statement "The best is yet to come."

And I'm leaving campus early today before the serious drinkers take to the streets. :)

No comments: