8.29.2008

Professional life. Home life. Twain never meeting.

My world has of late become rather small. My days consist of a slightly unpredictable pattern of cooking, cleaning, feedings, changings, laundry, and child pick-up and drop-off, with the occasional errand and walk outside the house. Because this time I knew what was coming, and how little I'd realistically be able to accomplish, I am much happier than with my first at-home-post-child experience. My expectations are somewhat more realistic, which is to say: Some afternoons, I am just going to nap. That will be the full list of "things accomplished." Other days, I will be able to do five fantastic things between lunch and bug pick-up, because the monkey slept well last night leaving me two brain cells to rub together in the morning.

I am technically still in my old job, though on leave, until the end of September. This means I still check email every day, still answer a few questions here and there, and maintain a limited amount of adult non-familial contact. Which is probably excellent for my general sanity.

I'm also working on a grant application which, if successful, would write my way into a cool job beginning next June. I'm not holding my breath for its success, but it could work out and it would certainly be both challenging and a lot of fun if it did. Not to mention that I'd be in control of my own schedule which is key.

Otherwise, I've been keeping my eye out for jobs to apply for, but to date everything of interest is full-time, and I'm not doing that for at least a few more months. Perhaps longer. In a perfect world, I'd like a job that would pay really well (read: about $40K a year) where I could work no more than 20-25 hours a week in an office, more from home up to another 15-20 hours as needed. That would keep the monkey at home with me at least most of his waking hours until he's three and starts preschool, and would keep the bug on preschool time without before-care or after-care. Is it possible? Who knows? I've been looking since last January for such a job without much success.

If anyone has suggestions for fields I could consider, don't be shy. :) World's oldest profession definitely excluded, although the schedule flexibility and set-your-own-rates financing would be desirable aspects.

The world's second-oldest profession (teaching) would be great, but jobs here are few and far between. As for an ego deflater, I got turned down by the University of Phoenix...not enough humanities online class sections to require my services. I bet they have stacks of humanities CV's that they burn for furnace fuel down there when it gets "cold" in December and falls into the 50's. I hear there are great training programs for paralegals and criminal justice officers available online, but that's because I've been watching TV for the first time in a long time thanks to the Olympics and the DNC. :) Other thoughts?

1 comment:

CyndiF said...

Start an Ebay store?
Graphic design?
Freelance conference organizer?