10.06.2006

Great response to a controversy

I've been in discussions and blog comments with numerous people over an article posted in Forbes magazine in August, entitled: "Don't Marry Career Women." Forbes got so much flak over posting this article initially that they quickly posted a rebuttal right beside it, but I thought the rebuttal was pretty weak.

One of the Catholic websites I found recently is promoting a book that puts an end to this nonsense about educated women and marriage. Take a look at this excerpt from: "Why Smart Men Marry Smart Women."

For my single women friends, there are some great stats to support the fact that you're as desirable as we all think you are. For my married friends: see, we knew our husbands were smart to choose us!

2 comments:

Bolder said...

now, i remember why i don't subscribe to Forbes.

was it next to the article 'buy high, sell low -- you'll never have to worry about women'?

Staci said...

I agree that the rebuttal on Forbes was weak, to say the least. She basically responded with, "Nuh-uh. I'm smart and my husband still likes me!" Right, he didn't say EVERY marriage with a career woman would end.

Anyway, the second article was better, though I thought some of her anecdotal snippets from girls on the dating scene took away from the overall validity of the studies she'd done. "I know lots of friends with graduate degrees who get dates" is not nearly as convincing as some of her other info.