8.29.2007

A budding academic, as you might have guessed.

9:30 p.m. Tuesday night:

Small feet are heard on the stairs. The bug appears, carrying all the clothes laid out in advance for the next morning minus one small item.

"Where's my other clip?"

Matt looks up. "What's up, bug?"

"Where's my other clip? I can't find it. It's time to get ready for my new school."

"It's still dark. Go back to bed."

"But I already slept a long time! It's not bed time! It's time for school!"

"Not yet. Let's go back upstairs together. I'll help you find your hair clip."

"But I want to go to school, daddy. I want to get dressed and go to school." She shuffles slowly back to her room, under protest, locates the missing clip, and is tucked in by her father.

More proof that she is my daughter. I was always a terrific nerd about the first day of school every year and even still have a tough time sleeping the night before I teach my first class of the semester out of excitement. (And my second, and my third...). We dropped her off this morning and she practically skipped inside to hang her backpack on her hook and start exploring. I hope the day plays out to be as wonderful as her imagination makes it.

No comments: