10.15.2007

Bug theology.

"God is great.
He keeps my sippy full.
He loves me a lot,
until it's Halloween.
And then there's candy."

--original lyrics, my daughter
to the tune of...well, it's sort of a tune.

Clearly, some parts are sticking of the general prayers-at-night, church on most weekends, concept of God-is-good ideology. Other parts...well, it's really interesting to see what's sticking and what's not. Youth theology is not so much my forte, methinks. But something is clearly being instilled, which I hope will be a base for a more deeply personal and meaningful understanding down the road. Of what sort I am not precisely sure. I worry only slightly about the materialistic twist at the end, mainly because it's going to blow her small mind when she grasps that GOD HAS CANDY ALL THE TIME IF (S)HE WANTS IT.

It's not that I expect much exactly in terms of preschool worship--pictures of the ark and animals (loosely constructed) are about what I remember creating in the church basement at this age. I just think about "Let them come to me like little children..." and I truly do wonder if kids are "better" at faith because they have a different kind of understanding. This was the bedtime song she sang me tonight and it's combining her current favorite seasonal theme with some inspirational material related to bedtime in general. But the "full sippy" bit was a surprise. We've been talking in church about generosity and giving gifts so maybe she understands that concept at some level, that all we have has been given to us. Or maybe it just rhymed in her head. Who knows? I learn a lot from her even though her way of thinking is clearly very, very different from my own.

1 comment:

Staci said...

Have you ever read the "Frances" books? They're a bit tedious to read, but Frances (a mischievous little badger girl) is always making up little songs, and that reminded me very much of them.

I have no idea what the kids get out of church other than "Shhhh. Sit still", but I hope they're getting a little more than that. This week Elizabeth and Marianne will start going to Sunday school during mass. Ruth isn't old enough yet, but I can hardly contain my excitement at the idea of having only one preschooler to deal with during mass!