1.13.2008

Week 1: Austin.

So I'm not much of a one for resolutions but I do want to attempt posting at least once a week. Consider this first post of the year on time-delay, as we spent last week in Austin, Texas.

No one told me the food would be so good. I had both mind-blowing barbecue and awe-inspiring Tex-Mex within twenty-four hours. I stayed out past ten p.m. and listened to live jazz. And I got out for a run! Before April! I am a weather wuss so generally my fitness in the early winter is, um, sporadic at best.

Myself and the bug were there four days, and I got out for a walk or jog each day. (Matt stayed longer as his conference ran all week.) Our fine hotel also had a gym, which meant I got in some elliptical walking and a bike ride while watching CNN and feeling like a real grownup. (Since the only channel we were allowed to watch by the bug in the room was Cartoon Network. We do not have cable at home so she was fascinated out of her small pink mind by the non-PBS cartoon options. She attempted to sleep on top of the remote to keep us from changing the channel after she went to bed.)

Austin features a town lake and miles and miles of pedestrian trails so it was ideal for winter fitness. Temps were in the 70's and sunny...it was a real winter break vacation. Unfortunately the pollen count was off the charts so Matt spent the week on Claritin but he got in a few runs, too. It was a great vacation and kicked off the fitness year on a positive note.

I am loath to make solid fitness plans past "keep moving" at this point in the season but will reflect on the goals for the year ahead in future posts. Some of my bloggy friends have chosen truly inspiring goals and I look forward to hearing about their journeys and successes in the year to come.

No comments: