1.15.2008

Week 2: home again.

Given the recent warming trend, the bug and I have gotten out for several walks this week, although there was only one day this weekend when I approached a solo jog. Yesterday, however, was a bit different.

I got a heart rate monitor with footpod for Christmas and wanted to go to the track to calibrate it so I can track distance and all those other fun stats that come with a new gadget. It's taken me a while to locate a local track open to the public, as all the campus ones are restricted to student athletes (grrr....) or to people with rec center memberships. I finally found one near our house, and the bug and I set out yesterday afternoon.

She made it all the way around the track with me while I jogged the required 400m test lap, although there was plenty of complaining on the second half of the lap. ("I'm so tired...you're going too fast...I want you to stop....") The home stretch begged for a finishing line to break, but instead we were surveyed by a couple of local middle schoolers until we got back to the starting line. This upped her spirits a bit, as did the dogs we passed on our trail walk shortly afterward. She appreciates an audience for her efforts, I suppose. :) It's supposed to be in the 50's again today and then cool off and snow the rest of the week, so we'll try to get out again before winter resumes its usual outdoor-exercise-suppressing course.

Indoor yoga has also been a huge hit in the past weeks, as the bug has a kids' video of her own and likes all the animal stretches. So the winter fitness plan is on track at least for the first few weeks of the year. Hope your own resolutions are holding up as well.

No comments: