2.20.2008

Job update: so true.

So it's been four months since I submitted a total of four tenure-track job applications. I've received three acknowledgments of application receipt and two rejection letters since then.

School A acknowledged my application within a week, with a hand-signed note. They rejected me a month later, letting me know I hadn't made their shortlist, with another hand-signed note. Extremely classy and prompt.

School B acknowledged my application a month after I sent it, and did not reject me until after a finalist had accepted their position in mid-January. They also included the number of applications (over 375!) so I would not feel unduly excluded or unqualified.

School C has already hired someone, but I've never heard a word of acknowledgment or rejection. Just stone silence.

School D I have no insider info on, but seriously, it's been four months since the application deadline and they should have picked a shortlist by now. I doubt I'll hear from them either.

I was musing upon this when I came across this article in the Chronicle:
The Favor of a Reply is Requested

Honestly, I've been on the administrative end of multiple searches, and simple courtesy is not too much to ask considering the amount of stuff and the cost of postage schools require from applicants. This person expressed that feeling with some hideous examples that may make you feel better if you're in the middle of a job search.

In the meantime, I'm applying for other local jobs and taking solace in the fact that at least no move is on our horizon, hurray!

2 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I only got a confirmation from one of the two tenure-track jobs I applied for this season when I got the rejection letter. At least they sent that!

I did got confirmation from the other, but I pretty much just obsessively check the academic job wiki to see if someone else has heard more from them!

I can't imagine if I had tens of applications out there what my frustration level would be!

Bolder said...

well, on the plus side, we keep you in Boulder...

good luck with your local search -- hopefully, the locals will be more considerate...