5.29.2008

Something that actually costs less now than it did when I was in grad school.


Dress for Less and Less

Interestingly, one feature they don't discuss in the article is whether or not the quality of these "basics" has declined since 1998.  "Low-end clothes" such as the ones they describe make up the vast majority of my wardrobe.  My first quibble is with the idea that a $46 pair of jeans is "low-end," but I'm used to the Times columnists who fear to cross the threshold of a discount department store and treat Walmart as an exotic locale for fashionistas on a value hunt.

In terms of what I've encountered in the past decade clothing-wise, I think stitching quality has declined so that items fall apart more quickly even with light wear. Dyes may or may not hold after a single washing. Sizes have become even less standardized (if such a thing is possible), meaning that two pairs of identically sized pants from the same retailer exhibit significant measurement variation.  Those of you who shop at Old Navy, where I have to try on three pairs of jeans in the same size to find one that fits, will know what I'm talking about.

Still, it's refreshing to know that I can still find something to wear to work for under $50, even if I can't fill my gas tank for that anymore.

1 comment:

Staci said...

I totally agree with the quality issue, though I, too, am glad that I can dress for as cheaply as I can. My biggest issue is that clothes just seem to sprout holes faster and faster. Not just along seams (which I could easily fix) but in the middle of the t-shirts or whatever. And I'm sure it's not just my washing machine because I'm using a different machine now than when the problem started. I'm reasonably sure it's the cheap Target clothes. Still... $9 for a shirt is cool with me even if I have to buy extras to avoid the holes.