5.22.2008

Too personal?

There's a story coming out in this weekend's New York Times Magazine about the issues that blogging can raise in personal relationships.

Exposed

I was a good few years older than the author in the NYT when I started this blog, so I'm not sure whether it was maturity or just stronger personal filters that kept me auto-self-editing my posts.  However, it seems to make sense--if current or future employers wander across my blog, would I get nauseously panicky?  Given that friends, family, and colleagues are all regular readers, does it make sense for me to alienate any of them by telling the kinds of stories that would embarrass or irritate them?  For some reason the "how much to share online" seems to mark a generational dividing line between myself/my 30-something friends and my 20-something students and younger colleagues.

Of the blogs you read most, how "juicy" are they? My faves are personal but in a mom-sharing-story-about-the-little-ones way, not in a guess-who-I-slept-with-last-night kind of way.  (Then again, that may say more about the quality of my circle of friends and acquaintances.)

1 comment:

Staci said...

Wow. I can't ever imagine writing about the personal sort of things that woman is referring to. But you may be right that part of it is a quality of friends thing vs. level of sharing. I share a lot of stuff that I figure is over-shared - kids bowel issues and whatnot. But I try to to avoid stuff that will embarrass anyone old enough to care :).

As for what I read, I stick mostly to the mommy blogs. Dooce can get a little naughty, but nothing like the article talked about.