1.25.2009

Split shift.

The work goes well, and the family survives.

In a bit more detail:  I'm now working school hours (about 8-2:30) four days a week, and have rehearsal four nights a week and one weekend day.  Both my opera work and my rehearsals are on campus, so I'm going back and forth from Longmont to Boulder...let's see...twice a day on most days.  I'm with the kids from 2:30 to about 5:30, and then Matt watches them until bedtime and my arrival home.  Fridays and Sundays are both days completely off, at least until tech week begins 2/8.

While the current arrangement does keep both kids out of full-time day care, which is a huge plus, it means I rarely see my spouse during the week at least before we're both exhausted.  I'm glad this is not going to be a permanent arrangement.  My show opens 2/12, so after that I'll be working weekdays and weekend nights for three weeks which will be much better.  The show closes 2/28,  and then I'm back to working days only!  And nights at home after the kids are in bed, writing, of course, but I mean work-on-someone-else's-preferred-schedule type of labor.

What do I do at the opera, you may ask?  Who's in charge of me?  Great question.  I've been there two weeks and don't know the answer yet.  Lots of people need me to get things for them from other people, but it looks like I will have three different supervisors over the next three months and then a fourth new person will become my permanent supervisor in August.  Basically, whoever is directing the next opera is my boss, except for right now when the music director is my boss...I'm still meeting all the faculty who I'll be negotiating with regarding schedules and such in the months ahead.  It is a lot of fun, though, and I'm already getting my hands dirty in box office data analysis and past budget review and preliminary budget work for future seasons.  Good stuff, and so far everyone seems like fun, creative, energetic people to work with.  We'll see what happens the first time those energies are aimed at cross-purposes.

No comments: