2.23.2010

The $10K dress.

So several of you have been awaiting pics from my recent escapades at the Opera Gala. Each year the opera program hosts a big fundraiser at a local hotel. A major donor who used to be a model donated several of her old gowns to the opera program, in hopes that the students would be able to wear them for performances of some sort. These included a few couture gowns including one valued at $10,000. None of the dresses fit our current students, but one of them did fit me--the $1oK one!--so I got to wear it to the ball:


Talk about feeling like a princess! I should also mention the ridiculous shoes--I ended up wearing five-inch heels to be able to keep the dress off the ground. Did I mention I was stage-managing the event? Luckily I had very little furniture to move and a lot of assistance under the circumstances! And I towered over most of the donors during the pre-Gala cocktail hour, including the chancellor and provost, which was really amusing. I was definitely looked up to.

My own borrowed plumage aside, everyone looked stunning--the male singers were in tuxes and the ladies were in evening gowns. One of our students was Miss Montana 2006 so she had a great gown collection to choose from. It was a really memorable night, and the opera program did very well so the purpose of the evening was achieved. On a side note, I am really glad I don't work in a profession where my success would be based on looking glamorous. I like sensible shoes too much. It was really fun to play princess for a night, though.

1 comment:

Staci said...

Ooh la la! Looking very glamorous indeed. (Getting Fancy Nancy flashes even as I type that - "glamorous is a fancy word for fancy" - if Miranda doesn't read them yet, check them out).

How fun to wear something like that, just once! But I agree that comfy shoes often take precedence.

I'm glad it went well!