2.23.2010

In the swim.

Oh, do I wish I had pictures of this afternoon.

Miranda had her first swim lesson of the session today. Instead of trying to corral Tucker for 45 minutes while she sauntered around the splash playground with her class, I decided, well, the heck with it, and took him swimming during her lesson.

He thought the pool was made of awesome! Even though the water features were turned off during lessons he went up and down the pirate slide by himself, on his tummy forwards and backwards, about a kabillion times. And fell face forward in the water at least twelve times and just stood up and kept going. Absolutely no fear whatsoever, which was seriously inspiring both because of memories of my own swim lessons (painful) and of trying to carry Miranda into the pool at various ages and teach her to float/swim (still painful unless a pool noodle is involved).

I spend a fair amount of time these days noticing how alike, and how different, my children are. Sometimes I try to figure out if "this" is a boy/girl thing, or a birth order thing, or a personality thing...but mostly I try to figure them out in the context of themselves and consistency. If Tucker's cranky for more than ten minutes, he's probably sick or in pain. If Miranda seems moody and cries more easily than usual, she probably needs food because her blood sugar is low, or water because she's dehydrated...she seems more susceptible to those kinds of mood swings. The pool is only one more place where my children approach learning differently. Now, I need to figure out how best to encourage one to take risks and the other to look before he leaps.

No comments: