3.31.2010

Going vertical.

After much dithering and deliberation, I've got a new direction toward fitness goals. I've been trying to make up my mind between running, doing a sprint triathlon in late summer, keeping my aerial fabric classes going...Boulder is a place with far too many interesting choices for ways to keep healthy.

I spent early spring training for a half-marathon but had to scale back due to injury to a 10K, and even after several weeks off I'm still not feeling 100% after any runs longer than 4-5 miles. I love fabric and hope to go back to those classes someday, but to move from ultra-beginner to intermediate, I need more upper-body and core strength than I've got. (I was the oldest one in my class by at least five years, and probably the only mother, which says something else about the optimal body type, but I haven't given up the idea completely just yet.) And the biggest problem with fabric is that I can only do it once a week with no practice outside class, so it's not a very practical fitness pursuit (although someday I'd like to incorporate it into theatre performance).

Then a few weeks ago I visited a local indoor climbing gym, and I was hooked. I signed up today. The gym has all the usual gymmy things--weight room, treadmills and other indoor torture machines, yoga classroom, spinning classes--plus many, many opportunities to rock-climb indoors on routes ranging from "My four-year-old finished this!" to "Um, are you sure that's physically possible?" It also has a childcare room, on the off chance that I can get to the gym during one of Matt's extended rocket absences. Plus, there are aeroyoga classes--I will blog more about them after I get to go to one but I am very excited about that too.

If you're curious, check it out at: Movement.

No comments: